Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's Okay if My Dreams Don't Come True...

One of the blogs I read regularly is 97 Seconds With God. Yesterday's post really nailed ME on the head ...click here to view it.

http://97secondswithgod.blogspot.com/2008/07/genesis-29-safety-of-wait.html

Waiting (for any number of things) has been one of my biggest struggles my entire adult life. The world around us does not promote waiting for anything... and I have only recently started to accept that things WILL NOT happen on my time (begrudgingly). When I got married, I had so many expectations of my husband and our life and where we would be when we are 30 - and none of those things have happened yet! (I'm 32)

But what has come along with that is a new perspective on what my time of waiting should consist of...reflecting HIM to others in my everyday life. Sounds like a simple Sunday School answer - but I wonder how many others are like me in taking so long to see things this way - like the job I go to everyday IS my mission. I work for a non-profit. I always knew I was doing good...but until recently did not really see it as the purpose God has for me RIGHT NOW. Maybe something really important will come out of the little things I do today, that would not happen if all of my "dreams" came true.

I think this is the difference between knowing something, and truly believing it (For those of you who attend the Village - the gospel finally "dropped" on this one for me!). I "knew" that God had a specific purpose for me, but had to realize that it wasn't necessarily the same as what I "imagined" that purpose would be. And I am beginning to be okay with that.

No comments: